Monday 6 May 2013

This past weekend saw the 4th leg of the UCI Marathon World Cup take place in Clarens, Free State. What promised to be an exciting event turned out to be exactly that, with the likes of international pro's such as Stefan Sahm (current Marathon World Cup Leader) and Steffen Thum.

Surprisingly the pace wasn't as fast as I had anticipated it would be, probably because most of the top contenders had the last 20km of racing in mind which had a total altitude gain of over 700m. I positioned myself in the front of the race and made sure I wasn't any further back than 10th position to avoid any problems or hold ups. As we approached the first tech zone Max Knox and Gawie Combrinck made a move and got about 100m on the chasers which had been whittled down to a select group of 20 riders. The chasing group managed to pull Gawie and Max back within a few kilometres and then the pace was pretty much relaxed with all the main contenders looking around at each other, approaching the first big testing climb of the day.

As we hit the base of the climb close to the 50km mark, the fireworks started and the big guns started firing, I found myself in 8th position on the climb, but lost a few positions due to small errors up the technical ascent. From then on it was head down, trying to limit the loss as well as keep ahead of the riders behind. By the third tech zone I was lying 11th and feeling confident that I could hold onto my position to the end.

The two remaining climbs were absolute walls and I could see the rider just ahead, so I set a steady pace, gaining. At the same time the rider behind me, Ben Melt, also started to gain on me. By the time we got to the top of the climbs the 3 of us were together which would make for an interesting last 10km down to the finish. The descent was fast and at some stages downright scary. On one of the last little bumps Ben Melt put in an effort to ride clear, but I managed to latch on just as we came into town. It would come down to a sprint between the 2 of us for 10th and I figured I would get the best of him. I sat behind him and approaching the last corner I kicked to get ahead, but my gears weren't selecting and with only 50m to go Ben had the kick to get ahead and finish in 10th .

All in all it was an awesome 100% mountain bike race, one which tested you physically and mentally at every pedal stroke. For my first dig at mixing with the pro's in an ultra marathon distance since October 2012 I'm well satisfied and quietly confident that it's going to get better. To my sponsors, @clubbrytonusn, @ghostbikessa, @ballisticbike and the tech support (mom,dad and fiancé), a big thank you for your support. Henry Uys @met_uys


Race Route:


No comments:

Post a Comment